Sunday, August 9, 2009

Let the blogging begin

I thought I would go back to the beginning of this journey as I have decided to blog my thoughts, frustrations, and general comments regarding this exciting, yet challenging time in our life.

So the saying "When it rains, it pours" could not have been more true during the month of July. In May, Sid graduated from Auburn University (boo) with a Ph.D. in Music Education. After MONTHS and MONTHS of job applications, interviews, and overall frustration things really started to happen for Sid and his job hunt. He had all but given up on the chance of getting a college teacher job and had interviewed at a local private high school. In a matter of days, 2 to be exact, he was offered that high school job and had been contacted by multiple colleges to come interview. After a lot of thought, we decided it was best that he take a gamble by turning down the high school job and going after the two college jobs.

Sid had a phone interview with Marian University in Indianapolis, IN during our beach trip the last week in June. I could tell something was different about this job. He went on and on about the things they had going on there and that he really felt like he was a perfect fit for the job. He went and interviewed at Marian July 6th and 7th. We really didn't get to talk much because he had another interview in New York on the 8th and 9th. Well, on the 9th, he sent me a message saying Marian had called........to make a long story short he thought it would be cute to play a little trick on me and act like he didn't get the job. BUT HE DID!!!! Words cannot express our excitement at that moment. He had worked SO hard to finish his degree and apply for numerous jobs during a time when SO many people were looking for jobs. But the excitement quickly wore off when we realized we had some tough decisions to make.

After a lot of prayer and tough conversations we decided that for a myriad of reasons it was best if I stay in Birmingham and he go to Indianapolis. My choir was accepted to perform at AMEA, the state music eduators conference. This invitation was a great honor for myself and the students and I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to perform at that conference. Also, I have a great job (most days anyway :-) and we just couldn't rationalize leaving that late to have to settle for an OK job or possibly no job at all in Indiana.

So, we loaded Sid's truck down (yeah, we looked like the Beverly Hillbillies) on Friday, July 17th and headed up I-65 to Indianapolis. He started work that Monday...they weren't playing around! We were able to find him a nice apartment in a great part of town. I stayed most of the week then came home. Indianapolis is a great city. I can't wait to get to explore more.

Leaving was tough....extrememly tough. I have lots of great friends and my family to take care of me but Sid is alone. Not to mention Pudge is here with me which is killing Sid...she's his baby. I try not to think about this too often because it makes me really sad.

It's been 3 weeks but it's felt like 3 years and we've seen each other every weekend. I went this weekend for DCI Finals which was AMAZING. I can't wait to go back for a Colts game in that stadium!! I'm hoping we can become Colts fan and be done with this Auburn/Alabama sillyness (ok, yeah right, but here's for hoping!).

School starts for both of us this week. In a way, I think that's a good thing but I also worry that we will both be so busy we will neglect to make time for us. That has already become a challenge...especially since Sid isn't a big phone talker. I guess I'm just going to have to buy a Macbook so we can Skype (yes, I know I can do that with a PC, just looking for an excuse to buy a macbook!).

Continue to keep us in your prayers as we are just taking this journey one day at a time. Wow, I feel better already! LOL! Blogging = therapy....who knew!!

2 comments:

  1. Love you bunches and bunches! We're always a phone call or short trip away. We're very proud for both of you. It will all work out and be great!

    Now, let me say..............there will be NONE of this forgetting Alabama/Auburn. It's okay to ADD to the enjoyment but not to delete. HA! Alabama football always continues!!!!!!!!!!!! Roll Tide!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your new blog Libby and you are so on the money when you say blogging is therapy! I love it! Will be praying for you & Sid as you face this year apart. Can't wait to read more blog pots! :)

    ReplyDelete