Saturday, October 2, 2010

Life is Short

Those of you who are mom's know the anxiety that you feel often about things happening to you or your little one. Well, being a new mom all of these feelings had been new (and quite vivid at times) and were finally starting to subside until recently.

It seems every time I get on Facebook someone is posting asking for prayers for a sick loved one or posting about a tragedy. I have been personally impacted by two tragedies recently. One of the students in my theory class (an older, non-traditional student) lost his ex-girlfriend and 2 yr. old daughter in an apartment fire. I don't know all of the details but do know that it was arson, so someone deliberately and thoughtfully planned to set the fire. He missed a week of class but has returned and seems to be doing exceptionally well considering the circumstances.

The other tragedy effected many people I know and love. If you are in the Birmingham area you probably heard about a family (dad, mom, and daughter) killed by carbon monoxide poisoning. Many of my Hueytown friends went to church with this sweet family and I had the privilege of getting to know Malorie when I co-directed the school musicals. I also helped Mrs. Howerton advise her on dating during lunch many times, lol. Malorie was a beautiful girl on the inside and out and SUPER talented. She was going to make something of herself. But God had a different plan. I lost a good friend in high school and know how traumatic it can be for the students and teachers, as well. Some good WILL come of this awful situation....time will tell and heal.

I don't mention these events to put a damper on your day but it has definitely put things into perspective for me. LIFE IS SHORT people!! I'm holding Catherine and Sid a little closer and making sure to live every day to its fullest. Most importantly, I thank God every day for the chance to live and hopefully, make an impact on someone's life. We aren't guaranteed tomorrow....make the best of today! Love you all!

1 comment: